President Museveni on Sunday suspended schools and communal/religious gatherings for 42 days starting June 7, 2021 in a bid to contain the spread of coronavirus after Ministry of health report indicated that there’s an exponential surge in cases and community infections.
The president also banned public transport between districts starting June 10, 2021 to allow students who are still in school return home.
Mr Museveni made the remarks in a televised address hours after the ministry of health report indicated that Uganda had registered 1,259 new virus cases with nine more deaths.
The new cases, which is the highest figure since the outbreak was confirmed in March last year saw a spike in Uganda’s tally to 52,935 on Sunday as health officials fear for the worst in this second wave.
The president said the capital Kampala was the most hit districts, registering an average of 500 cases per day followed by the neighboring Wakiso and the northern Uganda district of Gulu which has been reporting an average of 100 cases per day.
However, the surge in number of cases and community infections was due to poor compliance by the population and failure to follow government guidance, according to Mr Museveni.
“The most affected age group in this current wave are the young people aged 20-39 years with observed increasing transmission among the 10-19 years. There is an increased number of infections in schools since March. A total of 948 reported cases in 43 schools from 22 districts. Kampala, Gulu, Masaka and Oyam districts combined constitute 61 percent of reported cases education institutions. Government is committed to vaccinate all the 21.9 million Ugandans eligible for the jab,” he said in a televised address Sunday evening.
Mr Museveni also said the number of people at burials and vigils will be restricted to 20 people with strict observance of SOPs.